Conditions and Guidelines
Selection will be made firstly from the written application, secondly by a interview panel at state level, and finally, a national selection. Nuffield Australia will not enter into any correspondence in relation to selection and the decision is final.
Partners and family are not permitted to travel with the scholar during the first seven weeks of group travel (Contemporary Scholars Conference and Global Focus Program), but are encouraged to participate with the scholars thereafter.
Considerable help and assistance is available from scholars in Australia and other participating countries to assist new scholars to plan their individual program.
Nuffield Australia reserves the right to terminate the scholarship should it find that the scholar has neglected his or her obligations explicit in the award.
1. Applications must be completed via the online form.
2. The application form must be completed with concise details and no attachments will be accepted.
3. The applicant must ordinarily be a resident of and reside within Australia.
4. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. Applications close 16 June 2017.
5. The preferred age for all applicants is 28-45 years of age at the time applications close. Exceptional applicants outside this range may also be considered.
6. State Selection Committee’s will view application forms and interview short-listed applicants in July 2017. All applicants must be available on the nominated interview date/s in their state or territory.
7. State Selection Committees recommend finalists for final selection interviews to be held in August 2017. All applicants must be available on the nominated national interview date/s as per the application form.
8. The decision of the Selection Committee is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
9. Nuffield Australia arranges travel and accommodation for all applicants for final selection interviews.
10. An applicant’s spouse or partner is strongly encouraged to accompany the applicant to the final interviews and formal function. Any partner/spouse associated travel and accommodation expenses are to be paid by the applicant and not Nuffield Australia.
11. Travel and accommodation bookings cannot be changed once confirmed in writing. Any cancellation or associated costs will be the responsibility of the applicant.
12. Presentation of awards and the scholarship briefing will occur at the Nuffield Australia National Conference Awards Dinner to be held in Darwin, NT, on 19 September 2017. All scholarship winners must attend this, and the two-day conference on 20-21 September 2017.
13. Scholarship winners spouse or partner must (if at all possible) accompany the scholarship winner to the scholarship briefing and Awards Dinner. Nuffield Australia will pay spouse or partner’s air travel costs.
14. The scholarship must be taken at the advertised time.
15. The tenure of the scholarship is two years from the official awards ceremony at the National Conference. The travel component must be completed within 18 months. The first seven weeks of travel are organised group travel – Contemporary Scholars Conference (CSC) and Global Focus Program (GFP).
16. All scholars must write a comprehensive report of their study tour. This must be produced in the pre-determined format and submitted within eight months of the GFP departure.
17. The scholar is responsible for obtaining his or her own passport, visas etc.
18. A total allowance of $30,000 will be paid to the scholar. Up to $25,000* will be paid prior to departure, with the remaining $5,000 paid upon completion and lodgement of a satisfactory report. *The accommodation and associated costs of the scholarship briefing, CSC and GFP will be deducted from the $25,000 payment as they are incurred.
19. Please note that approximately 50 per cent of the bursary will be expended on the GFP. Scholars will need to make a monetary contribution to the overall costs of the scholarship, which will vary according to how many times the scholar travels overseas, countries visited and other parties (family) participation.
20. Scholars are expected to resume residence in Australia after the completion of their scholarship.
21. Partners and family are not permitted to travel with the scholar during the first seven weeks of organised group travel (CSC and GFP).
22. It is recommended that scholars seek medical advice on their own state of health and fitness and for any medical requirements relating to their travel including vaccinations.
23. Nuffield Australia has corporate travel insurance available to scholars for the duration of their scholarship for a small fee, deducted from the bursary. There are excesses in place for claims relating to personal items. It is recommended that scholars seek advice to determine if this covers all individual regarding medical, and other cover.
24. All telephone and communication costs are at scholars expense.
25. All scholars must have access to email facilities prior to departure. The use of social media, including blogs is also encouraged.
26. It is recommended that scholars contact the Chairman, CEO and their investor several times during their tour, keeping them advised of their progress.
27. An unsuccessful applicant may re-apply in future years providing they meet the guidelines set by Nuffield Australia.
28. Application forms and references remain the property of Nuffield Australia.
29. All scholarships are offered subject to confirmation of investor arrangements.
30. All successful applicants are required to sign a contract with Nuffield Australia before commencing travel. Nuffield Australia reserves the right to discontinue a scholarship if it deems the applicant is incapable of fulfilling the requirements of a Nuffield Scholar and seek the return of all moneys paid.
31. The scholar is an ambassador for Australia, the industry, Nuffield Australia and themselves, and must at all times conduct themselves in a manner befitting their role. Nuffield Australia reserves the right to withdraw the scholarship and seek the return of all funds associated with the scholarship if, at the sole discretion of the Board, any scholar has conducted themselves in an unbecoming manners.