Scholarship conditions and guidelines
General Conditions for 2018 Scholarships:
Every effort will be made to meet the specific family and business needs of the scholars within a framework, which ensures maximum opportunity for the scholar to pursue their interest. Scholars are not allowed to undertake other work, paid or unpaid during their study time without permission from Nuffield Australia.
Partners and family are not permitted to travel with the scholar during the first seven weeks of the program (CSC and GFP), but are encouraged to participate with the scholars thereafter.
Considerable help and assistance is available from scholars in Australia and other participating countries (United Kingdom, France, Canada, Zimbabwe, The Netherlands, Brazil, United States, New Zealand and Ireland) to assist new scholars to plan their individual program.
Nuffield Australia reserves the right to terminate the scholarship should it find that the scholar has neglected his or her obligations explicit in the award.
Selection will be made initially on the basis of the written applications, secondly by a panel at state or regional level in July 2017, and a final national selection by interview during August 2017. Nuffield Australia will not enter into any correspondence in relation to selection and the decision is final.
1. Application forms must be completed electronically. Handwritten applications will not be accepted.
2. Applications must be submitted by email.
3. The application form must be completed with concise details and no attachments will be accepted. Additional information can be provided on the application form.
4. Facsimile applications will not be accepted.
5. The applicant must ordinarily be a resident of Australia and reside in Australia.
6. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date for applications on 16 June 2017.
7. The preferred age for all applicants is 28-40 years of age at the time applications close, although applicants outside this range will also be considered.
8. State Selection Committee’s will view application forms and interview short-listed applicants in July 2017.
9. State Selection Committees recommend finalists for final selection interview to be held in August 2017.
10. The decision of the Selection Committee is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
11. Nuffield Australia arranges travel and accommodation for all applicants for final selection interviews.
12. An applicant’s spouse or partner is strongly encouraged to accompany the applicant to the final interviews and formal function, but must pay all associated travel and accommodation expenses.
13. Travel and accommodation bookings cannot be changed once confirmed in writing.
14. All applicants attending the final interviews will be advised of the outcome by telephone and in writing.
15. Presentation of awards and the scholarship briefing will be made in association with the Nuffield National Conference in September 2017 to be held in Darwin, NT. All scholarship winners are required to attend.
16. Scholarship winners spouse or partner must (if at all possible) accompany the scholarship winner to the scholarship briefing and presentation function. Nuffield Australia will pay spouse or partner’s air travel costs.
17. The scholarship must be taken at the advertised time.
18. The tenure of the scholarship is four months travel to be completed within twelve months of original departure. The first seven weeks are organised as part of the CSC and GFP, being in some or all of, New Zealand, Asia, the Americas and Europe.
19. All scholars must write a report of their study tour. This must be produced in the pre-determined format and submitted within eight months of the GFP departure.
20. The scholar is responsible for obtaining his or her own passport, visas etc.
21. A total allowance of $30,000 will be paid to the scholar. Up to $25,000* will be paid prior to departure, with the remaining $5,000 paid upon completion and lodgement of a satisfactory report. *The accommodation and associated costs of the scholarship briefing Contemporary Scholars Conference (CSC) and Global Focus Program (GFP) will be deducted from the $25,000 payment as they are incurred.
22. Please note that approximately 50 per cent of the bursary could be expended on the GFP. Scholars will need to make a monetary contribution to the overall costs of the scholarship, which will vary according to how many times the scholar travels overseas and other parties (family) participation.
23. Scholars are expected to resume residence in Australia after completion of their scholarship.
24. Partners and family are not permitted to travel with the scholar during the first seven weeks of the program (CSC and GFP).
25. Partners and family are to fund their own travel arrangements including accommodation and incidentals.
26. Although Nuffield has universal travel insurance, which is available to scholars for a small fee, it is accepted that medical and insurance costs are at the scholars expense.
27. It is recommended that scholars seek medical advice on their own state of health and fitness and for any medical requirements relating to their travel including vaccinations.
28. Nuffield Australia has corporate travel insurance. However it is recommended that scholars seek advice to determine if this covers all the scholar’s individual requirements.
29. All telephone and communication costs are at the scholars expense.
30. All scholars must have access to email facilities prior to departure. The use of social media, including blogs is also encouraged.
31. It is recommended that scholars contact the Chairman, CEO and their investor several times during their tour, keeping them advised of their progress.
32. An unsuccessful applicant may re-apply providing they meet the guidelines set by Nuffield Australia.
33. Application forms and references remain the property of Nuffield Australia.
34. Nuffield Australia reserves the right to discontinue a scholarship if it deems the applicant is incapable of fulfilling the requirements of a Nuffield Scholar and seek the return of all moneys paid.
35. All scholarships are offered subject to confirmation of investor arrangements.
36. All successful applicants are required to sign a contract with Nuffield Australia before commencing travel. Electronic copies will be available.
37. The scholar is an ambassador for Australia, the industry, Nuffield Australia and themselves, and must at all times conduct themselves in a manner befitting their role. Nuffield Australia reserves the right to withdraw the scholarship and seek the return of all funds associated with the scholarship if, at the sole discretion of the Board, any scholar has conducted themselves in an unbecoming manner.